Re: [Usability]Re: An alternative proposal for instant-apply vs. non-instant-apply

Hello Colin,

colin z robertson wrote:

hmm. Yes, this is a possibility. It works for palettes of tools, but
if instant-apply becomes popular then I don't think we'll really want
everyday controls to be smaller.

I've been thinking about this tonight and I came up with "audiovisual feedback". Already GTK widgets can "light up" when the mouse pointer is over them. My idea is to distinguish instant-apply from delayed-apply by highlighting the entire widget that was activated, and let the selection gradually fade away. Simultaneously an "audio event" can be triggered. I imagine a friendly high-pitched 'tinggg' sound that fades away together with the highlighting. The entire feedback could last for, say, 0,5 second. The color of the highlighting could perhaps vary with the selected theme but I was thinking of something light-green or light-yellow. (See also Paul Durans' Color Reactiveness post.) The highlighting could take the form of a thin box or circle drawn around the widget, or perhaps the text/button/checkbox/whatever itself could change color. The audio event also adds a nice accessability touch to this feature. :-)

For delayed-apply dialogs, none of this would happen until the 'Apply' button is pressed. Then you could give the audiovisual feedback for the Apply button or even the entire dialog!

Please tell me what you think,

--
Reinout