Re: [Usability]Re: An alternative proposal for instant-apply vs. non-instant-apply

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:01:24PM -0700, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > > possibly plus "[Help]" if help is appropriate.  (I'm proposing "Apply
> > > & Close" here rather than "OK" because I think it's clearer, but I
> > > could be convinced otherwise.)  These dialogs shouldn't need a
> > > preview or "Apply" button in general, but it should be easy within
> > > the surrounding application (Setup Tools or whatever) to see the
> > > effect that the changes had and return to the dialog to make further
> > > changes.
> >
> > I disagree about the button names (see my dialog guidelines for some
> > rules about those) but Adam is right: we should worry about that
> > later. The principle that this is stuff that shouldn't instant-apply
> > is, of course, correct.
>
> of course nothing,

Adam is here describing items which can have incorrect settings. These
are things for which there is a specific reason not to make them
instant-apply.

> but it seems fine to concede this as long as its
> clear that a dialogue should be instant apply unless there's a specific
> reason for it not to be,

This is not clear. You have not yet won the argument.

I'm willing to expand the role of instant-apply dialogs, but only
where I am sure that the framework is in place for them to co-exist
with delayed-apply dialogs.

> and we should be pushing to try and make more
> and more dialogues instant apply (fixing the issues that make that not
> feasible today, for example if switching themes took half a second it
> could be instant apply, etc).

There will always be issues making it unfeasible. We have to deal with
the fact that there will be both styles of dialog.

You can go on a crusade to make dialogs instant-apply if you want, but
bear in mind that opinion is divided on this one. It is essential that
both styles can co-exist, and that is what I am concerned with at the
moment. If the dialogs in the panel are anything to go by, I do not
believe that this has yet been addressed adequately.

colin

PS. Could someone do me a favour? I'd like to take a look at some of
the instant-apply dialogs in Nautilus, but I don't have the program
installed. It would be really great if someone could send me or put on
the web some screenshots of specifically those dialogs which are
instant-apply. Thanks.