Re: [Usability] Re: Fixing the foobar wrt fitt's law

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:18:35AM -0400, jacob berkman wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-10-03 at 19:50, Seth Nickell wrote:
> >
> > *however* one aspect about it has been driving me up the walls. The
> > menus do not extend to the top of the screen, and in particular you
> > can't access the Programs menu by flinging your pointer into the upper
> > right corner.
>
> this is an easy one.
>
> ximian ships a patch to gtk to not add a border when the menu bar's
> shadow is set to GTK_SHADOW_NONE.
>
> so, an alternative fix would be a long the lines of setting the x/y
> thickness of these menubars to 0.
>
> jacob
> --

Why do the menus ever have any dead space at all? This shouldn't depend on
the state of decoration. If nothing else, the menubar should select for
button press input and SendEvent it to the nearest menu item (or consistently
pick a direction if ever the two nearest items are the same distance from
the point of the event; either by previous motion or - say - 'always left').

grumble,
Greg Merchan