Re: [Usability] "Three Traps" (from Cooper Interaction Design newsletter)

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 20:24, Adam Elman wrote:
> Hey folks...
>
> Thought this might be of interest to some of you.  It's from a
> newsletter put out by a software design consulting firm in Palo Alto.
> I'm not sure how Trap 2 ('First to Market') might or might not apply to
> GNOME work, but Trap 1 ('Start with Technology') and Trap 3 ('Have the
> Most Features') are definitely relevant.  I think the latter, in fact,
> is very relevant to our conversation on preferences.
>
> http://www.cooper.com/newsletters/2001_11/three_traps.htm

Thanks for the link; that's an excellent article.

While reading the article, I couldn't helping thinking about
similarities to delivering the "whole product" in Geoffrey A. Moore's
book, "Crossing the Chasm".  He seems to say that meeting _all_ of a
specific customer group's needs is much more important than meeting some
of everyone's needs.

So, I'm wondering if it is even remotely possible to meet all of
everyone's needs?  (would specific needs-based distributions solve this,
such as a RedHat Business User Edition, HomeUser Edition, etc? somehow I
doubt it...) or is his theory crap?

  -Alex