Re: [Usability] user levels, etc.

> > Which goes back to my original point: I think having an "advanced user
> > preferences" dumping ground is fine, but I think developers need to take
> > responsibility for designing their preferences well in the first place
> > so that useful prefs won't end up in the dumping ground, and useless
> > prefs won't end up anywhere.  And that means thinking through all the
> > options.
>
> Very well said. Can we print this out backwards and stick it on our
> foreheads? Better yet, can I quote it next time I get into an argument
> with the Ximian gnomecc people about our current packaging scheme for
> cc?

Actually, I very much agree with the approach they are taking here. They
are moving things that suck rocks into the dumping ground, and slowly
migrating options that people actually need to change back into the main
CC. That is a much more sensible approach given that MOST preferences in
the CC as it stands shouldn't be there. I feel like the CC people are
doing exactly what Adam suggests here: actually taking responsibility
for designing useful prefs. The dumping ground has intentionally thrown
out the baby with the bathwater as we figure out what is actually
necessary.

-Seth