Re: [Usability] user levels, etc.

<quote who="Maciej Stachowiak">

> I'd like to add that besides direct user testing (which is, of course,
> the final arbiter), interface designers draw upon intuition developed
> by experience, and a body of work including general design principles
> based on past user testing and knowledge of psychology. But generally,
> user testing is the final arbiter.

Much agreement.

> > [1] I can't wait for the "usability is communism" argument. It will be
> > hilarious for the Australian/European participants anyway.
>
> No way, man, usability is ultra-capitalism. "The [least common
> denominator] customer is always right." Just like US relevision.

We're having an argument about this at the moment. I think the lowest common
denominator argument is flawed -> the usability goal and target user is the
common case; not the incompetent nub of the bellcurve to our left.

- Jeff

--
    "From my observation, when it comes to porting Linux to a particular
           device, a point doesn't appear to be necessary." - mpt