Re: [Usability] user levels, etc.

On 13Nov2001 11:31AM (+1100), Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > One person or any small team dictating that 'I know what is best for all
> > of you' is /not/ a good compromise
>
> You will generally hear the usability people (often the only people talking
> about removal of crack preferences, other than Havoc) talk about "user
> testing".
>
> User testing does not equate to "one person or any small team dictating", it
> means giving Real Users tasks to achieve with an interface, and analysing
> where they stuff up (which is, in the end, an interface issue).

I'd like to add that besides direct user testing (which is, of course,
the final arbiter), interface designers draw upon intuition developed
by experience, and a body of work including general design principles
based on past user testing and knowledge of psychology. But generally,
user testing is the final arbiter.

> [1] I can't wait for the "usability is communism" argument. It will be
> hilarious for the Australian/European participants anyway.

No way, man, usability is ultra-capitalism. "The [least common
denominator] customer is always right." Just like US relevision.

 - Maciej