Re: [Usability] Re: Button ordering

Hi!

> There are also effiency reasons for affirmative being on the right
> rather than "default". Assuming the dialogues we pop up are actually
> ones users care about, and they actually are making a choice,
> affirmative on right negative on left is a very simple pattern for users
> to learn. Its obvious! Simple obvious things are ones that actually help
> people. If you're pattern becomes to complex and tries to out-think the
> user, the will not form a mental model that matches the design model and
> will probably be impeded or frustrated. With affirmative on the right
> you learn "I agree to what this dialogue says by clicking the button on
> the right". If GNOME becomes consistent in using this, the user will

Hmm, how is this going to work for Yes/No/Cancel dialogs? They are
*very* common in apps. I'd hate to have it say

	|               [Cancel] [   No   ] [    Yes    ] |

Looks very ugly to me.

> start to automatically learn to move their mouse to that button when
> they agree with the dialogue. It takes that much more thinking out of
> the process (note that this decrease in thought is exactly what makes it
> dangerous to reverse the button order sometimes). If we try to predict

I do not think you want to have "No / Yes" sequence on screen any
time. You always want Yes to be to the left, and yes is default most
of the time. That means you have a problem.
								Pavel