Re: [Usability] Passive dialogs/messages

On Sun, 2001-11-04 at 09:25, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> "Erik Pukinskis" <erikthelephant hotmail com> writes:
> > I'd propose that there be some sort of notification panel applet, that
> > applications can call and have a message slide up discretely.
>
> Problem is that you can't use the applet for anything important,
> because people might have removed it (and apps really should work sans
> GNOME user environment, too).

I think grapevine (http://www.5z.com/jirka/grapevine.html) could deal
with both of these issues. It seems like users without a panel could be
automatically notified of grapevine messages above a certain importance
using a popup or something. I was (and still am) pretty excited about
grapevine, and I hope George keeps working on it *prod prod*.

I also hope George makes the panel kick ass, and adds vfolders. And I
want George to make Gob kick ass. And I want George to write Gigl since
Ian and Eskil have slacked off. And I want George to make my toolbars
rollup NS4 style (since it appears Miguel et al. lost interest in their
superior solution). And I want George to give me a global MacOS style
menu bar. And I want George to make Nautilus run fast, and make the rain
to shine and the sun to fall.

-Seth