Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

> Subject:
> On 2001.05.28 09:53 Christian Rose wrote:
> > >
> > > People who find the idea of mutiple desktops
> confusing have zero, nada,
> > > zilch chance of surviving for more than 10
> seconds in the GNOME
> > > environment with all it's quirky behaviours,
> gnome specific slang and
> > > general confusion anyways.
> >
> > And we want to change that, don't we?
> >

> I first tried linux/gnome about a year ago.  Why did
> I persevere, with all
> the hair-pulling complexity, obtuse documentation,
> and brittle
> applications?
> MULTIPLE DESKTOPS!  Really!  That was the first
> thing I noticed when I
> booted
> SuSE 6.3 for the first time.  Being able to have
> more than one app
> maximized
> on my little 14" screen, all one click away, was a
> revelation.
>
> So my two bits is, make the multiple desktops BIG,
> OBVIOUS, so the beginner
>
> can see the benefits immediately.

I have to say I agree.  I know a lot of people who
consider gnome to be more efficent because of things
like multiply desktops.  In fact, I think all of the
people I know who aren't really linux users find the
multiply desktop thing to be very cool.  I think a
neat thing to have would be a program that could
actully teach you about some of the features of gnome,
like a guided totorial or something.  Also, another
way to help people would be (I think something like
this has been mentioned already) to have it so when
someone switches desktops for the first time a message
pops up saying along the lines of "You've just
switched your desktop", and has a few buttons like,
switch back to the desktop you were just working on,
learn more about this feature, ok, and maybe a check
box saying "I never want to see this message again!"
This way, if someone did accedently switch desktops,
not only do they have an easy way to get back, but
they get the added joy of having just discovered a
feature! ;-)
Anyway, just a thought :)

Heeten