Re: UI Guidelines -- What I'm doing

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 12:57:22AM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> > > I hate to say this, because it is not as open sourcy as I like to be, but
> > > UI design takes years of experience to do properly.  People with lots of
> > > interest in UI design should definitely join the gnome-gui mailing list
> > > and learn and discuss as much as they can, and I'm sure their
> > > contributions will be valuable.  But for creating a first draft of the UI
> > > guidelines, I think we only want people with a pretty serious background
> > > in UI design.  (Well, we probably need to throw in somebody who is pretty
> > > good at writing and DocBook/SGML.)
> >
> > I can see where you're coming from with this, but you do understand,
> > don't you, that it rules out someone like me.
>
> I didn't realize that.
>
> I'm afraid it rules out most of us, including myself.  I don't see this as
> a bad thing though, since we can all voice our opinions both before the
> work begins as well as during the review process when the team presents
> various drafts for discussion and revision.

I think you may be missing the point here slightly. I don't have any
experience in guideline writing and I have no UI experience either,
but I happen to be one of the people *actually doing something*. In my
experience that's rather important. If I had thought that this should
be done by someone competent to do it (like Arlo, for example),
nothing would've got done.

I don't really know what effect this has on your call for volunteers,
but bear in mind that if you can't find the experts that you want, you
still have to find _someone_, and experts with time on their hands are
often in rather short supply.

How many volunteers have we got so far anyway? How many do we need?

colin