Re: Updated menu proposal (v1.1)

Hi George,

Its not really my preference, but some distributions have menu categories based on desktop, platform, even distribution. Would that mean that we need additional keywords like kde, gnome, ximian, redhat,
solaris, etc...

Perhaps internet or web is a better name than network?

Database, service (i.e. shared services provided by system), and maybe sysman (system management)
are other keywords you could add.

Is the Favorites menu constructed differently? Not necessarily related, but how would I add a URL to the menu structure. Does there need to be a separate keyword for URL vrs Application and Applet?

This might be blue sky (or my lack of understanding), but if I'm in a large corporation and I want a standard layout across all my desktops, how would I set it up? Can an end user override this standard
set.

Also, some of Sun's customers completely wipe away the default CDE set of menus (and why wouldn't they :-)) and create their own. With the new implementation you are proposing, if the customer didn't like the results of standard GNOME menu builder engine then they would have to hack their own, right? Whereas, today they would just have to edit a text file?

Nils

P.S. I still like keywords or menu-keywords better, but since its not end user nomenclature, i guess
its not really a big deal for me.

George wrote:

Here's a slightly updated version of the proposal answering some of the
concerns posted on the two lists.  However note that we are not discussing a
change and will not change the format of the .desktop files, nor do any
drastic changes, so such discussions are really blue sky only.  We are
discussing ammending the current standard slightly by adding two fields
and a standard location.  Anything more is really for another proposal.  We
need conclusion on the two issues at hand quickly.

George