Re: GUP Proposal Organization

On 30 Jul 2001 11:06:39 -0500, Paul Joseph Thompson wrote:

> Now, finally, the big idea I wanted to throw out there. This idea
> concerns the organization of GUP Proposals.

Your idea seems to be some an early realisation of point of discussion 4
of todays meeting. IMHO their should be two different systems:

1) A bugzilla-like system where gnome USERS can fill in a simple form to
tell what they dislike/like to see more.
With such a system Gnome can be very 'open'. Lot's of users can't/don't
want to code or discuss on gnome mailing lists. They just have a simple
complain/problem.
Althought thorough usability tests (like sun did) are always needed
simple user feedback can at least -detect- many problems.

2) A GUP proposal system
Like Paul proposed.
There have been several proposals on this list but some seem to be lost
for some reason. Some more structure would be nice.
What i would like add to Pauls proposal:

information about:
- road map /affected gnome release: Which release (2.0 or 2.1 etc. )
actually contains the changes.

Some selection procedure which decides if a proposal will be
implemented/rejected/need to be changed. This can be a discussion on the
usability list or on a monthly irc meeting.

Naturally 'Bugs' from the user input system (1) can be used by the GUP
team to abstract new ideas and proposals.