Re: Logout interface, Halt checkbox

kop meme com (2001-07-20 at 2211.55 -0500):
> "Turn off computer" is plain short and distinct.  I wrote "stop for
> poweroff" because I thought that those with AT motherboards might wind up
> confused when a) the computer didn't really turn off (power down) and b)

AT systems are old, and people already know that they have to hit the
button to stop it after they see the machine is stopped / "you can
turn off computer", etc. Normally AT users get a surprise when they
get their first ATX (I did ;] ).

> the only way to recover was with a powercycle.  I've stupidly gone and
> pressed the reset button and had to figure out that the halted CPU wasn't
> going to respond to the interrupt.

Reset button should respond, it is a hot restart. It does with my AT
machines. Even when the laptop goes nuts, a clip in the reset hole
makes it cycle fine. I tested it, as well as Ctrl-Alt-Del, when
machine is halted and it goes to the power on self test (CPU is not
locked, is just doing nops and waiting for things like C-A-D).

> But people _are_ used to having to powercycle to recover.  It's some folks
> default response!  So I'd go for the clarity of "Turn off computer".  It
> contrasts plainly with "Restart computer".

Restart computer sounds nice too, instead of Reboot, less technical
probably. No real preference against one or the other. HCI people
should be able to choose which one can be understood better (I just
hope that if Reboot is choosen, I do not see a "Rebotar" translation
here).

So it should be:

# Save session setup   <- at least until multi session system
                         | is done, this should be enough
* Logout <username>      | if set to ask the user
o Turn off computer
o Restart computer

[Help] [Cancel] [[OK]] <- following dialog doc

Extra comment not covered by HCI test: if the user has no rights to
turn off / restart, they should grayed out, not removed, or avaliable
but launching a requester asking for root password. In the lists we
have seen some people wondering where those options went, when they
were just disabled without any clue.

If allowed, the requester will want the current user password or root
password: "<username selector> is allowed to <action> machine. Please
type its password" or no selector, just "root" in the restricted case,
with a pointer to what to enable for user access.

GSR