Re: [Usability] Re: GNOME 2 screenshot - GDict design

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 21:55, Liam Quin wrote:
    On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:31:24PM +0200, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
    > I personally use "wordinspect" which is available as a debian package.
    > It is simple, elegant and nice.
    >     http://tigert.gimp.org/files/screenshots/wordinspect.png

    It does identify the sources used, which helped.  Does it have a
    pop-up menu that lets you look up any selected word or phrase?
    You should be able to look up words that appear in definitions.

Yes, those appear in blue, where you can right click them and get an
option menu. It probably would be better to act like HTML link, and just
do a lookup of the word, while showing a hand cursor and maybe an
underline when you hover the mouse under it. This would be pretty ideal
thing to do with gtkhtml I think.

    And, does it work in languages other than English?

I am not sure if it is translated. But something like this would be very
easy to do, either by hacking on wordinspect or by stripping gdict down
from all the extra stuff.

    I'd say that wordinspect looks pretty ugly, speaking as a typographer :-)
    In general, if you're using bold italic on a light background, you
    are probably doing somethig wrong somewhere... although there are always
    exceptions to generalisations like that.

Yea. But I like the fact that it is simple. GDict is not exactly pretty
either in that sense, and making it all configurable does not really
help :-) But fixing the italics is easy. It should just be nice and
readable.

    I'd add "copy" and "select all" buttons, and "save as" (html, text,
    xml, or maybe rtf).  So you'd want a menu and toolbar for that.

Mmmmhh, maybe. Dunno. I mostly use "Paste to irc" function bound to the
middle mouse button :-)

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::