Re: Where software lives

<quote who="Erik Pukinskis">

> Coming from windows where almost every app is available through the GUI
> (start menu) I found this somewhat difficult and I think it's an issue
> that long-time Linux users might not see.

This is much more of a GNOME or distribution issue, really. :)

Debian's policy enforces the use of the Debian menu system, which means that
within every window manager, desktop environment, etc., you will always have
a complete list of (generally, but not always GUI) applications available to
you.

My Debian menu in GNOME will appear as the root menu in Window Maker,
Sawfish, Enlightenment, etc. if I decide to run them. This is a wonderful
policy that greatly increases the usability of Debian as a whole.

[ Cue long-winded discussion of Debian's weaknesses compared to the
infrastructure in place to make it exceptionally usable. ]

- Jeff

--
    "And the beanbag is a triumph of modern day eclectic colourism..." -
                                Catie Flick