Re: GNOME 2.0 Menu design

On 14 Aug 2001 14:48:01 +0200, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
wrote:

> People use GIMP to edit 3D, fractals, logos and other images that are
> not photographs, I doubt they are forcing GIMP into doing things it
> was not designed for, that is why I say your description is IMO wrong.
> Also GIMP = GNU Image Manipulation Program, and people use Photoshop
> in similar ways, the inclusion of "photo" in the name is just that.

I'm starting to wonder why this is really a big issue.  The GIMP is a
general purpose imagining tool with many applications beyond the
"standard definitions" of what the program is intended for.  Now, we can
sit and argue back and for all day about what the GIMP can and can't do,
and what of theses things should be included in the menu.  Hell, why not
include all of them and have the menu's written as full HTML pages for
each program so users can read a  full set of documentation about a
program before the decide whether it is actually suited to their tasks.
</sarcasm>

"It is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as
photo retouching, image composition and image authoring."

^^^  Direct from the GIMP Web Site.  Sure, it's too long but there are
the three main purposes of the program.

These debates of the semantics of menu descriptions aren't nearly as
important as whether the general descriptoin conveys the general program
function.

Brian