Having trouble trying to get the functional tests of TinyMail to work

Hi Everyone,

Sorry - I'm a total newbie (to the TinyMail library), and I'm trying to make
sense out of the TinyMail library, which seems to be exactly what we need for
a small project my boss asked me to look into, which is providing some very
basic email functionality in our product.

We don't need any of the UI pieces, however - for starters, we just want to
be able to retrieve emails from a Gmail account (using SSL) - and also to
just send out an email.  Our actual UI will be very simple (at least in the
beginning).

So, my initial goal was to just create a very minimalist program that uses
the TinyMail library, but is just a fairly simple console application (using
pThreads to allow for asynchronous processing).

Well, I pretty easily got the tny-demoui program (in c-demo) working - and had it mapping to a Gmail account I had - and it very nicely showed all my folders,
as well as any of the emails in any of those folders.  Great start!  My boss
thought I was a genius...  :)  He figured I was just days (or hours) away
from giving him what he wanted (and I thought so, too) - but now I've hit
some road blocks.

My troubles started when I went to try the various tests in the "functional"
folder, and although I could get them all to build just fine, I can't seem to
make any of them do what I want.

For example, I wanted to have the "folder-lister" test do nothing more than
dump out all the folders in my Gmail account.  Seemed simple enough - so I
saw that in the "account-store.c" of the "shared" folder, I needed to modify
the various "tny_account_set_XXXX" functions to point to my Gmail account.

And, I figured out that (I think) I needed to add something like this:

       gchar *key = "use_ssl";
       gchar *value = "wrapped";
tny_camel_account_add_option (TNY_CAMEL_ACCOUNT (account), tny_pair_new (key, value));
       tny_session_camel_set_initialized (me->session);

But - nothing happens when I run the "folder-lister" program - and I even
tried running it with the "-o" option, figuring I needed to force it to
go online and try to talk to the real Gmail imap server - but when I do this,
it just hangs ( on the call to tny_camel_account_set_online() ).

So, can anyone help point me in the right direction? It's like the CAMEL-LITE library is simply not trying to get connected to the imap server, but I'm not
sure why.

So, has anyone tried to create a simple console-type of application that can
just retrieve emails from some imap server (from the default inbox folder)?
I also tried to get the "msg-sender" program to just send a simple email to
my Gmail account, but bumped into the same basic problem - nothing crashes,
and nothing complains - but it certainly doesn't send an email, after I specify
my SMTP server for the TNY_ACCOUNT_STORE_TRANSPORT_ACCOUNTS account that I
created (for sending an email).

So, any helpful hints about getting the "msg-sender" working would be nice, too.

Again, sorry if these sound like newbie type questions, but - I'm a newbie! At least, with respect to the TinyMail library, which I finally convinced my boss
was anything but "tiny" ...   :)

Thank you in advance for any help on getting started with the TinyMail library - overall, I'm very impressed by the extensive functionality that is available in the library - and the careful layering and use of interfaces. Kudos to all the
developers of this library!

Sincerely,
Steve Rosen