accounts management

Hello,
I am new to tinymail and i want to implement a mail client that extract accounts from database. I succeeded on that but still can't get folder list when running tinymail tests. It seems that list is empty.
My problem is that i can't see the relation between cache dir and account store.
Am i obliged to work with gconf?
another question can someone explain how the cache dir is used? and how to set it knowing that my accounts are not configured by gconf?
please can someone give me some further information
Thank you very much