using smtp

Hi all,
I have difficulties connecting to smtp severs. I want to know is there any function in tinymail to indicate what type of error I had? (I know that there is a callback called alert but I don't know when this function is called exactly)
When I try to connect to my smtp account the set online callback is called but not the get_password one? Is smtp account authentication different from store accounts?
Can someone help me please. (Suggestions for smtp server accounts creation are welcome :D)
Thanks
Best regards
Mehdi.