Re: SMIME encryption support

Hi Philip,

Op Mon 12 May 2008, om 12:13 (+0200) schreef ext Philip Van Hoof:

> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 13:08 +0300, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:
>
> Hey Dirk-Jan,
>
> > > It's mostly a TnyMimePartView that must be implemented in Modest that is
> > > lacking, I think.
> > >
> > > Not really difficult, so go ahead and try it :)
> > >
> > > If you make a generic one in libtinymailui-gtk, I'm sure it'll
> > > eventually be activated in Modest and/or ported to a Maemo-styled one
> > > (that perhaps uses libcst too).
> >
> > Well, it's not *that* easy, actually, as you will need the
> > infrastructure to manage the certificates as well.
>
> Doesn't libcst help with that on Maemo? Or Seahorse on a GNOME desktop.
>
> We don't have to (re)activate Dape's libcst support in the TLS/SSL
> communication layer to let libcst manage MIME cryptography, right?

Well, there is UI work needed to import/export your certificates, as
well as to view other's certificates; then there's a number of error
notes and so on. You also need some UI to decide whether to sign and/or
encrypt your outgoing messages, and what certificate to use for that.
Some of this can be done using the existing certman, but not all.

libcst / seahorse help a bit with the storing of things, but that's only
part of the story.

Best wishes,
Dirk.