RE: Usage of Tinymail by Multiple Applications

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 13:24 +0200, Dirk-Jan Binnema nokia com wrote:

> > One basic doubt.
> >
> > Could somebody clarify regarding the access of Tinymail by
> > multiple applications.
> > From the implementation perspective, Tinymail seems to do a
> > mutex lock/unlock before every folder access.
> > So can Multiple applications access a specific folder simultaneously?
> > Or can multiple applications use Tinymail functionalities?
> >
> > Please advise. I couldn't find any documentation in Tinymail
> > site regarding these points.
>
> Mutexes are per-process (per application), so other applications
> don't have to care about that. However, it would not be a very
> good idea to have two processes writing summary files at the
> same time...

Right, and perhaps at some point it might be a good idea to provide
file-locks for the summary files (and cached items) of a folder too.

Right now this has no priority, though. I also strongly recommend a "the
tinymail api consuming application is a service exposing a remote api to
other client applications" style over "all apps just link with tinymail
and simply launch code that meddles with the same files in one dir"
style.