Packaging scripts for multiple distributions - possible solutions

I've asked around for suggestions on how to solve the problem of
keeping debian packaging scripts in-tree. The problem is to support
Debian stable, testing, unstable, Ubuntu (many releases), Maemon, and
so on.

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/01/thrd2.html#00767 for
a thread with suggestions. To me, the control.maemo scheme sounds like
a decent pragmatic approach. The problem would be if we had to modify
many of the files. In that case, maybe debian/ should be pulled out
and kept in its own tree which can be branched?

I'll implement the control.maemo scheme one of the following days
unless someone wants to do it before me.

Øystein