Re: New design idea: when new messages arrive

Applying this diff on what is current in SVN will already append the
newest messages to your view.

The messages wont be readable, and while the operation of checking for
new messages happens, if you would for example do another operation on
the IMAP server like getting a message, you'd crash the application.

So I need to make it in itself cancel-able (over writable by a real
command from the user, as that one has a higher priority of course).

I also need to check locking in depth of the IMAP provider before any of
this is in some sort of usable state (it isn't).

The problem is of course that I want to reuse the one connection .. that
I don't want to create a new connection. This of course means playing
nice with the foreground operations (that is, restoring the state if
this background operation changes any state, like the selected folder,
and making sure that the background operation doesn't run in case any
foreground operation is already running).

ps. There's indeed a lot of work on this feature. Or at least until it
will be a usable and more specifically stable state.

But using this patch people can try and see what direction I'm heading.

Not that I'm very certain whether this feature is actually doable ...

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 22:37 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> When new messages arrive, tinymail will soon add them to the models that
> are registered as observer of the folder.
>
> http://tinymail.org/trac/tinymail/wiki/WhenNewMessagesArrive

http://www.pvanhoof.be/blog

M      libtinymail-camel/tny-camel-folder.c
M      libtinymail-camel/camel-lite/camel/camel-store.c
M      libtinymail-camel/camel-lite/camel/providers/imap/camel-imap-store.c
M      libtinymail-camel/camel-lite/camel/providers/imap/camel-imap-folder.c
M      libtinymail-camel/camel-lite/camel/providers/imap/camel-imap-folder.h
M      libtinymail-camel/camel-lite/camel/camel-folder-summary.c
M      libtinymail-camel/tny-camel-account.c