RE: DemoUI Crashing for POP

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 14:35 +0800, Nitin Mahajan nokia com wrote:
> U mean that only for the Demo UI. But in genral the POP functionality
> has been verified?

No, in general POP functionality is not yet fully implemented.

Tinymail can, however, already receive all POP messages into a Maildir.
And tinymail can already give you TnyFolder instances of such Maildir
accounts.

But there's no summary of POP accounts yet. By that I mean no support
for directly showing a summary of a POP account: tinymail would first
have to fetch all the messages into a Maildir.

This is by the way what most (all) E-mail clients do. For example
Evolution also does something like that (in between the receiving and
the writing it to a local mailfolder they've put what they call a
filter, but the principle is the same).

However. Having to write each and every message to the local filesystem
is far from ideal for a mobile device, don't you agree? So there are
plans to support summary fetching and storing of POP accounts.

That support is not yet available.

So, yes POP is supported. But POP is not support as how IMAP is. That
is, IMAP has support for summary and per-message cache (once once
retrieved, which happens when viewed); POP doesn't have support for
summary unless you one-by-one retrieve all messages into a local store
like Maildir and create an account from there.

I even recommend using fetchmail-like tools to perform the fetching. The
tinymail POP code, however, should also work.