RE: Early-posting a new idea for the summary format

Hi,

Mhwww... I am not so convinced about the duplicate string
argument; say, in a mail folder I have 100 mails (and that's a lot!)
with the subject "This is my subject"; by just storing it once,
I will save 99x18 = 1782 bytes. That is not a lot, and of course
it adds some complexity, and makes the summary files quite
fragile.

Also note that embedded systems (like the 770/N800) often use
compressed file systems (jffs2), which make the savings even
less.

>I would also take out the flags and put those in a different
>file, as a read-write mmap. Same reason: level wearing of
>flash devices, avoiding total rewrites, etc etc.

Flash wearing should not be such a big problem, I think. But
taking out those flags might be interesting. Dunno.

>> >"W" means "word length". On a 32 bit computer this is 4 bytes, on a
>> >64 bit computer this is 8 bytes.
>> [...]
>>
>> Would that mean that 32-bit roadmaps are not readable by a 64-bit
>> program? It's not uncommon to switch between 32 and 64 bit mode on,
>> say, an AMD64 - it would suck if the summaries would be unreadable.
>
>That is what it means, yes. Though the summary mmaps could be
>converted between different architectures, but not without a tool.

I guess it would be better to use the 32-bit 'words' on 64 bit platforms
as well. Otherwise, people who share their homedir between different
platforms will get screwed.

Best wishes,
Dirk.