Re: Tinymail / 3GPP

PS.

While being a LGPL project, I (its maintainer) don't want to give the
project the spirit of a religious anti-capitalism project.

By that I mean that rather than pushing-them-away, I welcome companies
who want to experiment and deploy tinymail on commercial products.

With commercial products I mean products that are supposed to generate
money for the company. Yes, money. Yes, profit. Yes, capitalism.

I'm not pro nor against this. I'm also not against anti-DRM clausules
nor am I against Richard Stallman's views NOR am I in full agreement
with Linus Torvalds nor nor nor any of whatever political funny idea you
might have caused by your own opinion or caused by the GPL or free
software movement.

I want to be very clear that I DO support commercial activities around
tinymail. Both closed and open source. I do encourage to open-up as much
code as possible. But I don't (try to) forbid keeping code closed (which
is why why I picked the LGPL rather than the GPL license, and which is
why this ain't going to change).

I also don't forbid companies to seek for people who can help them with
their ideas, software development and commercial activities related to
tinymail. Both for closed source and for open source (both companies are
welcome to try to find such people here).

So in case you might wonder why Philip isn't telling Guillaume not to do
this type of advertising on this mailing list: that's because I, being
tinymail's main author and maintainer, encourages it.

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 04:31 +0100, Guillaume FORTAINE wrote:

> Let me introduce myself : Guillaume FORTAINE, French engineer in informatics.
> I would want to build a start up to sell mobile phones ( OEM Level ). I am
> currently in discussions with investors.
>
>  We are currently searching people with a strong background inC / Tinymail to
> support the SMS and MMS protocols and for an HSUPA software stack
>
> http://www.symbian.com/files/rx/file7999.pdf
>
> We would want to sign a contract with people ready for at least a one year
> full-time contract.
>
>  We look forward to your answer,

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be