[system-tools] system-tools-backends 2.17

I'm having a pretty difficult time getting the latest
system-tools-backends to like FreeBSD.  I was hoping I could get a few
questions answered.

1. s-t-b tries to find its D-BUS service using the system bus.  However,
the system bus has no concept of service directories, so this causes
Nautilus to fail to launch since the org.freedesktop.SystemToolsBackends
service cannot be found.  If I add the following to D-BUS's system.conf,
I can get over this hurdle:

<standard_session_servicedirs />

Why should I need that?  Shouldn't s-t-b be using the session bus like
other applications (e.g. gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-power-manager, etc.)?
Note: I am using dbus-0.95.

2. s-t-b fails to run as a daemon
(i.e. /usr/local/share/system-tools-backends-2.0/scripts/SystemToolsBackends.pl exits with a status of 0).  This is caused by the daemon not being able to write its PID file to /var/run.  This is understandable as the script is being run by my user, and only root can write to this directory.  My question is, who should be running this script?  Should I be hacking it to write its PID to a directory that is writable by the stb-admin group?

Note: I can also get around this problem by adding --no-daemon to the
D-BUS service config.

3. Finally, why does Nautilus try to initialize liboobs when trying to
get SMB share information?  Where in the code path does that occur?

Thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome FreeBSD org