[system-tools]Re: Proposal for a new g-c-c menu layout for GNOME 2.8

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 18:22, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a proposal for a new control center menu layout, my main
> objectives are to allow an easier integration of "external" apps into
> the g-c-c and to somewhat avoid the growing clutter in the menu.
>
> my proposal (+ several screenshots to explain it) are in
> http://www.ultimaorbita.com/~garnacho/control-center-proposal/
>
> There's still no definitive patch for it, but I'll attach one when we
> arrive to a definitive solution. Any thoughts, opinions, flames?
>
> 	Regards

I wonder if it would be too much to ask if the Preferences could be
moved out of the "Applications"? That is, in the "Menu Bar" applet it
could have its own entry alongside Applications and Actions, and in the
"Main Menu" it could be in a separate section and not sorted with the
Applications alphabetically?

While Preferences dialogs may technically be independent programs, I
don't think any users actually think of them as "Applications". Also,
since this proposed layout would add another level of depth to finding
most entries, it might make it a little easier to reach them.

I realize that putting it in the Menu Bar applet might not be
acceptable, since that's valuable screen real-estate and most users
probably shouldn't be looking for Preferences anyways. Failing that,
though, I think it would at least help to move it out from the rest of
the Applications categories.

David Holmes
dholmes myrealbox com