Re: [system-tools]xml configuration file

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 16:48 +0200, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi Tiago,
>
> As I told you in IRC, while it might be a sensible solution and that all
> distros should unify in a single configuration schema, I don't think at
> all that we should give the first step here, my main reasons are:
>
> - distro specific tools & apps will rely in the distros' config files,
> causing data duplication, misinformation, errors, user headaches, etc...
>
> - we still should parse config files (at least for creating the initial
> home-made config file), and at some point, we still should rewrite the
> config files, for data consistency
>
> - this is only valid in the network config issue, IMHO the GST look for
> a broader point of view for config stuff
>
> - This would be more a maintenance pain than a bless for the gst
> developer(s?)
>
> Of course, these problems should vanish if the distros agree on a common
> config file, but I expect more to see cows in the moon than distros
> agreeing on something like this :)
>
> 	Regards
>
> El mié, 28-04-2004 a las 01:55, +0000, Tiago Cogumbreiro escribió:
> > I would like to propose to the list an effort to try to create a XML
> > specification file that would provide the network configuration details.
> >
> > Why?
> > Unix has a know problem, a miss of standard. Because of the openness of
> > Open Source each of us tries to create the best solution for a given
> > problem, while this is great for some things it is not that good for
> > other, because it may lead to fragmentation and disorder, therefore
> > losing effectiveness.

I don't think this should be done in GST. Once there is a configuration
standard for all distributions and unix flavours, GST should use it, but
I don't think it's GST's job to design a config standard.

GST should work with whatever the distro it's running on uses.

That shouldn't prevent you from trying to push for that standard, but I
think you'll first have to convince the distro people, much before
GST :-) It's not worth the effort for GST to invent a new thing that
probably nobody else would ever use.

cheers