[Setup-tool-hackers] new to list

Howdy!

I thought I'd say hi.
I'm currently working on porting gst to a new (currently unreleased)
Linux distro. I'm presently not working with the cvs version because I
won't be submitting patches until the distro is ready for release.

Other than adding profile info (and writing new functions for our way of
configuring network interfaces) the only thing that might have an effect
on others is the hostname.

I haven't run gst on a platform that is currently supported by it (I may
install gnome 2.2 on my RH8 box to see how it behaves there) but it
looks like we would require a change to the glade interface for setting
the hostname.

Basically, we set the hostname to localhost when we bring up lo. That
shouldn't effect anything.

But what we do in the network script after bringing up any interfaces is
check for the presence of an /etc/nodename file. If it is there, we set
the hostname to the contents of /etc/nodename. If it doesn't exist, then
we see if one was supplied by dhcp and use that (otherwise it just
remains localhost).

What I want to do with gst is have a checkbox for "get hostname from
dhcp". If selected, the contents (if any) of /etc/nodename gets saved as
/etc/nodename.bak and /etc/nodename is deleted.

If the user decides to unselect it, the contents of /etc/nodename.bak
(if it exists) will be used as the default entry in the hostname field.

I'm not familiar with glade (I found some online tutorials I'll look at)
but I'm curious as to what other opinions on such a patch would be, or
if there is a better way to do it.

I know I personally use a hostname I define rather than what dhcp sends
me - they send me my mac address (with - instead of :) which is both
ugly and doesn't resolve anyway - so I want it to be easy for dhcp
people to choose whether they accept what the dhcp server sends, or use
their own - and make it easy to switch (important for laptop users who
have ugly hostnames at home and required dhcp provided hostnames at
work)

-=-
Also it would be nice to have a checkbox somewhere in the clock module
to define whether or not the system hardware clock is UTC.

--
Michael A. Peters <mpeters@mac.com>