Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] RE: 2.4: System Tools - Please try them

Hi Murray!,

El vie, 27-06-2003 a las 09:49, Murray.Cumming@Comneon.com escribió:
> > From: Carlos Garnacho [mailto:garnacho@tuxerver.net]
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > please, have a look at
> > http://www.ultimaorbita.com/garnacho/screenshot.png
> >
> > does this fit in your idea of services tool? at least it does in mine
> > :-P. I did this modification to runlevel-admin in this evening, and
> > still needs lots of love, but when it's ready I'll commit it
> >
> > please! any feedback? :-)
> >
> > 	Regards
> >
> > PD: the intelligent priority support is still a TODO :-)
>
> It looks much better. Here are some minor points based on a comparision with
> the RedHat 9 services tool:
>
> 1. The checkbox column should have a column title. It's not clear what the
> checkbox means.

I agree, It's done :-)

> 2. It would be nice if the service description for the currently-selected
> service was shown in that first screen,
>    so people can browse through them without opening a secondary dialog for
> each one.

uuh, well, it was (in fact, the label is only hidden), but it leads us
to another problem, if we just put the label, the descriptions (as they
may have distinct lenghts) change the window size, and that's a quite
annyoning effect, the other option is to put it inside a scrolled
window, but it (at least for me) seems quite ugly

> 3. It looks like we have to start the service by
>    - selecting it and opening the details dialog.
>    - selecting "start" as the parameter.
>    - clicking the "execute" button.
>    Can't we just have "start" and "stop" buttons?

If the tool is really service-oriented, the start and stop actions
should happen when the user clicks on the checkbox (and hits "apply"), I
think :-), so we could get rid of this

> 4. I guess we would have to investigate the "Graphical Mode" and "Less
> Options" things in the actual release.

the idea I had is:

http://www.ultimaorbita.com/garnacho/screenshot-advanced.jpg
http://www.ultimaorbita.com/garnacho/screenshot-basic.jpg

anyways, If the gst provide a complete help, I think that we could
remove the "more/less options" button