Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] runlevel

> I hate to add another thing to the wish list - but this (I think) is
> important.
>
> Several distro's (Red Hat, I think Mandrake, some others) have chkconfig
> configurations in the init scripts.
>
> On these distro's, either chkconfig should be used to add the service -
> or at least, the runlevel module should extract the default start number
> for the init script and use that as the default number for the symbolic
> link.

it could be great, but the only problem is that there are distros that use
the sysV init system and doesn't have the chkconfig lines in the scripts,
so we should have sysV funcions and sysV_chkconfig functions (that's not a
great problem itself, it's doable). In the same way, a user can compile a
new service that doesn't include the chkconfig line, so IMHO we can't rely
on the distro to choose one of the sysV function sets. It's just the most
generic way... any idea to do this?

I'd love to remove the priority concept, and rely in things like chkconfig
to do such stuff, but it's not always possible :-(

> But really - at least from the simple interface, the operating systems
> mechanism for adding and deleting services should be used. This way the
> service gets added where it is suppose to be added and the proper kill
> scripts get put where they go and everything is the way it should be.
>
> For the advanced interface the user should be able to fine tune it (use
> setting other than the default) - but for the simple, what most users
> will be using, turning on a service should result in the service being
> in the proper sequence according to chkconfig (if the script is
> configured for chkconfig).

hmmm, this shouldn't be a backend issue, the backend provides exactly the
same information to the frontend and applies the same information from the
frontend, independently of the complexity of the dialog, so making such
change in the behaviour should be made in the frontend, by modifying
correctly the XML.

> It is (imho) good practice for rpm packagers of daemons that open
> external ports to NOT add the daemon by default - but the user should
> turn it on when and if the user wants it running.
>
> In these cases users will be using this tool to start it, and it should
> start where chkconfig tells it to.
>
> Hope I don't sound like I'm dictating, sometimes I do (apologies ahead
> of time).

don't worry, you're suggesting really interesting issues, doesn't sound
like a "dictate" at all :-)

> I'm not an expert perl coder - but I think this wouldn't be too hard, so
> I'll try.

as I said, this is could be mostly a frontend issue, but we should talk
more about this :-P

	Regards