Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Debian unstable time configuration

Hi Hile!,

El mar, 01-07-2003 a las 21:38, Hile Tuohela escribió:
> I've been playing with gst and found out that for debian unstable, the
> NTP server configuration does not work. The problem is trivial and is
> caused by the fact that there is no /etc/init.d/ntp script anymore, the
> script is renamed (don't know why) to /etc/init.d/ntp-simple: changing
> this in the time-conf backend fixes the problem and everything works as
> expected.
>
> So, should be have a new setup branch in the scripts for debian-2.x
> never than woody (2.3), which still uses old script name, or should we
> have a separate hack for this one? Can we check for both ntp and
> ntp-simple in configuration tests?

if it's only a debian issue, I think that this should only affect
debian, tomorrow I'll work on this :-)

> What about other backends/interfaces except the 5 current ones? I can
> see in the backends directory scripts for printers and many other things
> which don't currently have any interface, and I have no idea if these
> backends are usable at all anyway (are they from older gst releases?).

they were from old and/or far-from-usable tools, they were deprecated,
but I hope to work on them someday (when the current tools are pretty
stable) :-)

> I'll be in debconf3 and debcamp3, then hacking session before debconf
> (see http://debconf.org/debconf3/). I'm interested to spend my time
> there looking at gst integration to debian.
>
> Stuff I would like to see myself in gst:
>   - CUPS printer configuration

	I'd love to have a printers tool in GST, In fact, that was one of the
urgent TODOs until the ximian printer tool appeared (I still have to see
if it does all that I expect)

>   - Sound card configuration

	General hardware configuration would be great, but one of the hardest
points, since the gst are aimed to work on linux, freebsd, solaris...

>   - Filesystem configuration, with removable devices detection and
>     support for cfs/cryptoloop setup (maybe per user)

	You mean /etc/fstab editing? yes! that could be lovely! :-P

>   - Network share configuration (NFS,samba,lufs)

	In the network tool there is already samba support, we ought to look
what's neccesary for the rest and if it's doable

>   - X configuration: server configuration

	That was already in the TODO list :-P

>   - Font management

	It might not make much sense since fontilus appeared, at least in the
GNOME scenario... we should talk about this a bit deeper :-)

>   - Network card parameters: it's sometimes necessary to set f.e. MTU

	hmmmm, Those are pretty strange parameters, since the gst are aimed to
be user friendly too... :-/

>   - WLAN card parameters (SSID for example) to network settings

	I'm already working on this :-)

>   - DSL (with pppoe) support to network settings

	That could be great!

>   - IPv6 configuration

	Which parameters?

>   - VPN support: IPSEC tunnels with shared secret or certificates?

	hmmmm, maybe inside the network tool? dunno...

> Most of these _have_ some code in backends, but what is the status of
> these? Well, there is a lot to do ;)

as I said before, the rest of the backends are pretty unmaintained, so
they would need lots of love to make them work as expected

at the moment the big plan was to improve and bugfix the current tools
to make a stable release, and then continue developing new tools

	Thank you, it's great to have more eyes and hands on the backends :-)

PD: oh, sorry very much for the delay, my new job has been killing me
this week :-(