[Setup-tool-hackers] Re: bacon-message-connection (was Re:Shipping Vera with 2.4)

Hi Bastien,

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 18:08, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> It's simple, and only sends strings. The server is an existing instance
> of the application. That's why the protocol is so simple.

	Whatever - the total line count is greater and more fragile than that
in gnome-terminal to do a similar thing; also - you could have re-used
'linc' which provides a low-level connection layer such as you have
created.

> > 	There are also the following bugs/mis-features I saw with a brief
> > glance, correct me if I'm wrong:
> >
> > 	* missing syscall error handling
>
> I check the return values of all the syscalls. What did I miss exactly?

	eg. 'listen' - unlikely but ... ;-)

> > 	* blocking accept
>
> No, it's in a different loop, thanks to the usage of GIOChannel.

	Uh ? in a different loop ? in a different thread ? it didn't look like
that at first glance:

[snip]
       If no pending connections are present on the queue, and the
 socket is not marked as non-blocking,  accept blocks  the  caller
 until a connection is present.
[snip]

> > 	* not handling EINTR
>
> See Havoc's mail

	Which talked about D/BUS syscall wrappers ? which AFAICS you are not
using:

[snip]
ERRORS
       EINTR  The call was interrupted by a signal before any data was
 read.
[snip]

> > 	* blocking connection write
>
> Usually the client's only purpose is to send messages to the server
> (already running instance) and exit. So it is appropriate.

	Fair enough; write can also take EINTR.

> > 	* server_cb locks in a tight loop on 'read' error
>
> That needs a test for EIO which is the only error that could really
> happen in this case.

	EIO ? that seems somewhat unlikely to me from the description; what
happens if your remote app SEGVs when it's having data pushed at it?

> > 	* looks like it creates an insecure, world writable /tmp
> > 	  Unix domain socket -> instant, huge security hazard
>
> As I said, it's user writable only. I'm not *that* stupid.

	Where is the code that makes it user writable ? furthermore, are you
aware that several Unixalikes don't honour permissions on sockets - you
have to secure them in a user-owned, non-world-readable directory ? (eg.
/tmp/orbit-$USER*).

> > 	* doesn't do collision checking => instant DOS attack.
>
> If the user wants to DOS his own application, well, that's his right. He
> could also load a 500 megs TIFF image in the GIMP and lock his machine
> up. That's his problem.

	So what happens if I log into your machine and create a file called
/tmp/totem.hadess ? [ _AND_ I am not user 'hadess' but you are ].
Perhaps totem is only suitable for use on single-user machines.

	Hmm,

		Michael.