[Setup-tool-hackers] Testing GST 0.22 with ML 9.0

Hi all, here's a first report about GST 0.22 and Mandrake Linux 9.0. I
had to choose ML 7.2 to have the tools start (every time: can't that be
modified so that you choose once and for all?) and then tried to set
things up. Hope it helps, there are many usability concerns though :)
which you can probably keep for a more advanced stage.

Ciao

--
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      e-mail:	rosselli@cisi.unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze			rosselli@ling.unipi.it

   Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
   mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)
GENERAL ISSUES

- apply button: I thought the Apply button was deprecated in preference
capplets, it surely is in current GNOME desktop preferences. Perhaps Save
would be a better choice, anyway, and a profile control tool coupled with
it would be even better
- more/fewer options button vs advanced tab: I noticed that sometimes
there's a button to havemore/less options, sometimes there's an Advanced
tab, should be checked with the HIG
- ballon/contextual help: virtually non existant, should be put in at some
time because it is very beneficial for the user.

network-admin

In a nutshell: doesn't work

- I could set a modem connection easily, unfortunately clicking on activate does nothing (ifup ppp0 is not enough to activate the connection) even after I installed wvdial
- network-admin keeps forgetting the connections I configure
- as probably no config file is saved, ifup eth0 also fails, ifconfig never
shows it working
- /dev/modem should be the default modem port or at least present in the popup list
- connections tab: the five buttons in the central area seem to be disposed in a not too ordered way, perhaps the space should be disposed vertically:

	Connection n. 1			Add...
	Connection n. 2			Delete...
	...						Configure...

							Activate
							Deactivate

- clicking on the Default Gateway Device Button seems to activate some change even if there's only one choice (Auto) available
- in the Hosts tab if you click on the default host (localhost) there's no way to add/delete a host because the corresponding buttons are always ghosted (in other words, there's no way to clear the two text fields if you click on one of the hosts listed above)

users-admin

Works with minor problems

+ users created with this tool seem to work fine
+ remembers its state between one crash/use and a subsequent use
+ it isn't fooled by attempt of assigning UID already in use
- couldn't reach the Groups tab the first time I launched it (?)
- crashed while adding groups to a user
- I expected to edit a user's settings by clicking twice on his name, but it doesn't work that way