Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] release 0.4

On 17 May 2001 00:36:49 -0500, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> And the new shares backend! And the root auth! I hope.

Umm... Actually I'm having problems with users tool :)

My plan was to finish Profile files (files which get copied to new
user's home directory, by default files form /etc/skel) today and
implement nice focus and keyboard navigation (nothing fancy just
pressing <enter> gives focus to next logical widget and such) tomorrow.

But today I had some problems with implementing profile files stuff.
Some questions on how it should work:

* How should the name listing look like? I mean which column(s) should
be present? Should it list just filenames or with full path? What if
it's directory?

* Where/How should these files get stored after apply?
/var/cache/ximian-setup-tools/data/users/<profile_name> ?

* If we show filenames with full path, then should it change from
/some/where to /var/cache/xst.... after save? Isn't it confusing?

I also have problem showing "hidden" files (starting with '.') in
GtkFileSelection widget.

With files and directories it gets too complicated cause it'll be almost
a filemanager and it just wouldn't be worth it...

So, I have stong feeling it won't be ready for tomorrow evening. Should
I just finish other 'little things' and hide that tab for this release?
For ever? :)

You can check out the status of it from CVS and tell me what do You
think. As a little side note, files don't get saved for "Default"
profile yet. With other profiles they do get saved.

Tambet