Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Testing distributions?

Nils Barth wrote:

> When testing XST on Redhat 7.1, it's pretty annoying to have to select
> Redhat 7.0 every time I start up any application.
> Instead, one should be able to list Redhat 7.1 as a `testing'
> distribution, and have it use Redhat 7.0 settings, though on startup
> it should prolly popup a dialog saying:
> `WARNING! Not supported, don't use in production, testing only, etc.'

Nils, we need to be very carefull when using XST with code that was
not tested/coded for the distro the user is using, we might mess
the users box pretty badly. I don't think this is something that we want
to do, having to click and hit Ok is better than just a warning message
that nobody reads.

> I think this is relevant beyond this specific example, as XST will
> always be expanding to new version/distributions, which will often be
> similar to existing ones.

We'll, once the current distros are supported we can test newly release
distros in a short period of time. In the future XST is going to be
updated thru redcarpet so the delay is going to be minimal.

Also, we expect the distros to ship XST eventualy to replace their ugly
utilities. If this is the case, XST will come preinstalled.

regards,
Chema