Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] missing information in xst-0.5.1

On Monday 28 May 2001 16:31, you wrote:
> > 2nd Question/wish: Is it planned to write a backend to show the installed
> > (rpm/deb/sun/...) packages?
>
> Not to my knowledge, no
>
> This functionality is already well covered by the red-carpet software,
> which
> allows you to view, upgrade, remove and install rpm and deb packages. It
> would
> seem to be better to expand red-carpet to other packaging systems as
> necessary (AIX
> installp, Sun, etc.) rather than duplicate this functionality in the XST
> tools.

What I asked for is a backend to only(!) show the available the packages,
nothing more.  In this case the only main argument the backend need to
support is --get.  The backend could then be run from a cronjob and sent this
information to a central (company's) system registration location (database).

The system admin or helpdesk folks will then be able to know what version of
a package is available and this may help to solve complaints being reported
to them e.g.  Or in case a system needs to be replaced the IT department
knows which packages need to be installed, after looking in that central
database.

--
Richard Bos
For those who have no (/)home the journey is endless