RE: [Setup-tool-hackers] Where XST is going.

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 08:10, Mantas K. wrote:
> Hi all,
> But in Ximian Setup Tools these problems disapear, they are impressive
> and I love them ;)

Thanks !

> I totally agree with all Chema ideas, but not with this:
>
> Chema Celorio <chema@ximian.com> wrote:
> > The project will be renamed to "XST System Tools"
> I think this name is not clear and not user-friendly. XST means Ximian
> Setup Tools
> then XST System Tools will be Ximian Setup Tools System Tools. Sounds
> strange, isn't it? Maybe name can be System Control Tools or System
> Administration Tools or Gnome System Administration Tools or something ?
> But name is not very important thing, I only suggest to change it to
> more clear.

Yeah, looks like the new name is going to be "Gnome System Tools"

> > Debian and XST have a big synergy between them. They don't have a
> > standard set of graphical tools and could greately benefit from XST; on
> > the other hand, the Debian community is could help drive the project
> > forward in an important way. We will switch the focus from Red Hat into
> > Debian as our reference platform.
>
> Cool, I like this (debian is my favourite distro). But debian already have
> some good setup tools (partially dpkg-reconfigure (debconf) or gkdebconf
> are good configuration tools, you can do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> and you will see graphical (if gnome debconf libraries are installed) or
> text-mode configutation interface).
> Second tools are Debian Configlets
> (http://hackers.progeny.com/configlets/) - they are integrated in GNOME
> Control Panel too: "http://hackers.progeny.com/configlets/book/ - The
> current GNOME front ends include a druid to invoke each configlet as a
> wizard, and individual capplets that are incorporated into the GNOME
> control center."
> There are other cool projects, like PGI's graphical "Custom"
> partitioner, which uses Progeny's Python bindings to the GNU Parted
> library - see http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/screenshots/screen05.png
> I think this is excellent partition manager and XST can use it (it is
> multiplatform, because depends on multiplatform parted library)
> All projects are in http://hackers.progeny.com/

Yes, but they are not as unified as XST is, and debian does not have the
business case problems as others distros do, because it is not a
company. If we do a good job, debian will shit it by default even if
there are other tools.

> I think progeny debian hackers and ximian setup tools hackers should
> colaborate, because users don't need 2 different tools, integrated in
> Gnome control panel. Progeny hackers are doing excelent job for GNOME
> and Debian, XST hackers too, I think now it's time to colaborate ;)
> (I can write letter to progeny hackers team, but I think it will be
> better if XST maintainer writes)

Yeah, we should.

thanks for you email,
Chema