Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] ximian-setup-tools cvs HEAD

On 2 May 2002, Carlos Garnacho wrote:

> El jue, 02-05-2002 a las 18:41, Arturo Espinosa Aldama escribió:
> >
> > It is no little feature, but I have a solution. Maybe this is already in
> > your interface, but I don't have the screenshot url anymore, so here it
> > goes:
>
> try http://www.ultimaorbita.com/garnacho/xst , there are screenshots of
> runlevel-admin for gnome1.4 and gnome2
>

> > Just add add/remove buttons. :)
> >
> > The thing is that we need to have the ability to ignore a script, to let
> > the change from one runlevel to the other do nothing about scripts that
> > are not mentioned.
> >
> > As I wrote, not doing so does not comply with the SySV init scripts and
> > that's broken.
> >
> You must be right.
>
> The only problem I see is that all the services and all the runlevels
> are in a single table. If I have understood you right, the remove button
> should remove a service from the table, but then you are removing it
> from all the runlevels. The same with add button.

You are so right! It's amazing what puzzles can come inside just one
dialog.

> I've used checkboxes to tell the state (start/stop). It would be nice if
> we represent it this way:
>
> 	- a red light pixmap: the service stops
> 	- a green light pixmap: the service starts
> 	- a cross pixmap: the service doesn't do nothing

What about a faded bulb (like in gray)?

There are stock gnome pixmaps for this, so maybe we can take it from
there.

The idea would be to have a bulb that changes color with every click,
cycling the state, and maybe with a tooltip, showing the status in words.
But then I see another possibility, and that is two bulbs. One for red,
one for green, and both faded for nothing. Maybe this would give the user
the idea of a semaphor.  Clicking on any of the two pixmaps is the same
effect:

xo red; click->
ox green; click->
oo nothing; click-> back to red.