Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] boot-admin error??

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 19:18, Ryan Marsh wrote:

> Now, it is possible that someone might want service A to start before
> service B in runlevel 3 and service B to start before service A in
> runlevel 5. But is this _truly_ a feature we need to support? To be
> quite honest it sounds like an asinine thing to do. Part of creating
> powerful yet simplistic interfaces is knowing when to tell the user to
> go fuck him/herself.

No need to tell the user to have sexual intercourse with self, really.
In practice, this isn't ever a requirement. The only reason why you
order services in the first place is that you want init to wait for one
to finish starting up before it attempts another, and the only reason
for that is that one depends on the other. Note that most services are
not prioritized in your runlevel dirs, only a few, and those are the
ones that have interdependencies. So if you set them up to run in
different orders in different runlevels, things would most likely break.

--
 Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Engineer - joakim@ximian.com - Radagast@IRC
FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate hacker