Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] boot-admin error??

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 11:17, Arturo Espinosa Aldama wrote:
> I think disabling is complicated, and it doesn't save the user much work
> because there's almost no information lost (compare that with the
> difference between deletting and disabling a user). I think
> functionality vs complexity in this case wouldn't turn on our side here.

I agree with this (only having the option to delete), on the principle
that deleting links and disabling services are functionally equivalent.
If you want to use the enable/disable paradigm, you could just show all
the available scripts in all runlevels, and mark those that have links
to them in the relevant runlevel as "enabled".

One more thing: I'm not sure if showing runlevels in the frontend, as
numbered runlevels, abstracts things enough. At least for simple mode,
I'd look into what the different runlevels actually mean on the current
platform (e.g. 0 = "halt", 6 = "reboot", 1 = "single user", 3 =
"multiuser", 5 = "graphical multiuser". 3 could be considered equivalent
to "safe mode" in Windows).

The runlevels mean different things on different platforms, and it would
be nice to abstract away those differences (one of the stated goals of
XST). In that case, the backend should know how the runlevels map to
different types of functionality.

--
Hans Petter