[Setup-tool-hackers] Revision of Text in Setup Tools UI

Hey all. Here are kevin's and my suggestions for text revisions in the
setup tools. Please review them and let me know what you think. The
goals I had in mind were: consistency of punctuation and titles (every
tool's main window title ending in "Settings" and every window
description with a ':', giving short, to-the-point item descriptions.

Don't start implementing them until they are approved by... i guess
Chema and Nat?  Not sure.  But certainly not until they've been
commented on.

Boot Manager:
  Change "Use this tool...." to
  Bootable operating systems:

  Change window title to "Boot Settings"

Boot Image Editor:
  Delete description entirely.

Boot Setup Druid:
  Call it Boot Setup Assistant
  Delete user-related text.

Partitions:
  Interface should be made un-tabbed. Paragraph of text should be
removed.
  Between HD icon and monkey-wrench icon, put "Disks and Partitions:"
  Title of window should be "Disk and Partition Settings"

Memory:
  Change title to "Memory and Swap Settings"

Network:
  "General" tab:
  Change "How this computer..." to  "Network identification for this
Computer:"

  Connections tab:
    change "how other..." to "Network access methods:"

    Choose "Add" and:
      Change "Select..." to  "Choose connection type:"

      "General" tab:
        Remove all of intro paragraph.
        change "Comment" to "Name"
        Change "Allow activation control for all users" to "Allow all
users to activate connection:"

      "Account" tab:
         change "how to..." to "Dial-up account settings:"

	 Advanced tab: change '.' to ':'

	 IP settings tab: (in all but dialup):
           change "how..." to Set Internet (IP) Address:

  DNS tab:
    Change "How the..." to "Domain Name Servers:"
    delete hrule at bottom,  and the line "The DNS domain for your
computer."

  Hosts tab:
    remove "The IP address of this host" and the hrule above it.

Shares Setup:
  Change title to "File Sharing Settings"

  Imports tab: Change "Imports are..." to:
    Remote folders available on this computer:

  Exports tab:
   change "exports are..." to "Folders on this computer available to
others:"

  Remove descriptions of "Add/Edit" dialogs entirely. They know what
  it's for-- they clicked "Add" in the Shares settings.

Time and Date Settings:

  I'm confused here about the UI: you have a single tab, which is bad,
  but there are two binary choices (Server vs. local time mgmt). You
  could do those as 2 tabs, and it looks like you were going to.

  I'd say the first choice should be a radio button:
  * Set Time On This Computer
  o Use a Time Server

  Then, depending on which one you choose, the rest of the dialog
  would appear or activate: the calendar/time/timezone thing, and a
  place to enter a server. I guess then the only issue is that you
  need to set Time Zone in *Both* cases.

  Anyway, if you're going to leave it this way, i'd change the text at
  the top to read:

  "Set the system clock, or specify a time server:"

Users and Groups:

Change title to "User and Group Settings"

       Users tab:
       Change "this is the..." to "Users on this system:"

      Groups tab:
        Change "This is the..." to "Groups on this system:"

	Profiles window:
	 Profiles tab:
         Maybe call it "User templates" and don't explain?
         That or say: "User profiles:"

         System tab:
           "System defaults for this profile:"
           or "System options for this profile:"
         Security:
           "Security options for this profile:"
           "Security defaults for this profile:"
 (whether you use "options" or "defaults", use the same word both
places).

cheers,
a.

--
"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet,
consectetur, adipisci velit . . ."  Cicero