Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Backend network code.

> All backend network code is a mess. There's lots of code repeated, clearly
> with copy/paste, because functions are doing big tasks, instead of little
> tasks, whenever platform-dependent info is required. network-conf.in is
> a mess, and I don't know why we have network stuff in be.pl, if there are
> no other backends that will use this stuff. Naming conventions suck too.

Well, your be.pl question kind of answers your network code question, doesn't
it? When you resurfaced a week ago or so, I told you about the shared network
code, which will be needed by shares-conf and network-conf (which I
originally thought would be networking-conf + nameresolution-conf, since
noone told me you were going to join them). I asked you to use that code in
the new network-conf instead of blindly copying networking-conf. I even told
you the names of the functions and how they worked, on IRC, and you confirmed
it.

Let me reiterate - as I pointed out to you explicitly, this shared backend
code is needed by several tools, and it's there _precisely_ to avoid
copy/paste. It's needed for reading and setting up network parameters, as
well as detecting shares on known networks, and I'm sure we'll find other
ways to use it as well.

Also, that code is clean, with methods for differing distribution flavours.
If you're grumpy about the naming conventions (be_network_*), please realize
that a) you came up with the be_*Ænamespace and b) you need to come up with
something better.

> And, Hans Petter is not answering. I'm just frustrated to see all the
> reshaping I'll have to make to let this code do things the right way, and
> to make it easy to add other distributions and Unix flavors.

Before your absence (3 weeks ago), you said you would be working on getting
handling of multiple and transient interfaces into the networking code. It
surprises me that you didn't realize that it actually takes some work until
now, and especially since I mentioned that it would be a demanding task and
got your confirmation that you thought you could control it.

You cannot simply copy the old networking-conf.in to accomplish this. It was
made for another, smaller, task.

--
Hans Petter