Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Report, 20010121

>> - Fixed a problem in nameresolution-conf.in. It shouldn't write the host's
>>   DNS domain to /etc/defaultdomain. Upcoming network-conf.in should inherit
>>   this fix.

>> #  &write_defaultdomain (); &be_progress(40);

> I don't understand: you're just commenting one line with this. What's the
> problem with this function?

I got a mail from the guy who did the Debian adaption saying he'd made a
mistake and that I should this function again, because on Debian,
/etc/defaultdomain is the NIS domain which is different from the DNS domain.

I didn't want to make any huge changes to the networking-conf.in backend,
since you copied it to network-conf.in and started working on that (so
networking-conf.in is legacy). I didn't want to go directly on
network-conf.in since you're working on it and it's in a more general phase
of development. I'd be stepping on your toes.

If it turns out that this file actually stores the DNS domain on some
distributions, we should determine the way it's used based on the
distribution guess. I think it doesn't, though, so we should stick with the
high-level config files (e.g. /etc/sysconfig/network on RedHat,
/etc/rc.config on SuSE).

I hope that answers your question.

--
Hans Petter