Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] users-admin

>> Okay, this looks like an object management system. I don't think we can
>> use that interface out of the box, since it represents a set of functions
>> that are too alien.

> What is an Object Management Interface?

I was referring to the list of users. It looks slightly like what I've seen
in Netware, but calling it object management is probably going a little too
far without actually being able to try it out. It could also be just a simple
list. Anyhow, the "bad fit" for me here was the seemingly-hierarchical
organization of elements.

And, a good example of a network object management system is actually Novell
Netware. You manage printers, groups, users, servers, etc. in trees with
crosslinks, where each node in the tree is an object with a class.

> Which features are too alien?

- Toggle: User can change password.

- Notebook tab: Desktop (the whole thing, I think).

  - Toggle: Allow users to save desktop settings (specifically).

- Logon script.

- Disk Quota.

- Printer credits.

Although some of these are features I think we'd like to implement (quotas
and printer credits, and maybe also logon scripts, are useful to set up on
larger multi-user systems; but keep in mind that the Setup Tools are not
focused at larger multi-user systems, at least not yet).

>> If the OpenConnect guys are willing to try their hand at a Glade
>> interface,they're welcome, but we still need some guidelines. I might write down a
>> summary of what I think is good interface philosophy one of these days,
>> and Arturo was talking about doing the same. Then we can argue and finally
>> come up with a decent synthesis.

> We are quite happy to work on the interface if this would be of help. Also,
> if you let us have a set of guidelines that would be a great help :)

Well, we don't have any interface guidelines yet, but we're trying to
straighten out that situation. We risk wasting a lot of effort without such
specific guidelines. Any progress on this will of course be posted here.

Also, I'm interested in learning your goals, in general words. What do you
visualize the Setup Tools doing?

--
Hans Petter