Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] fun networking stuff

On 17 Jan 2001 16:06:30 -0600, Chema Celorio wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2001 15:48:36 -0500, jacob berkman wrote:
> > So, there are some fun things in the network front end.
> >
> > For reference:
> >
> > http://primates.ximian.com/~arturo/xst/images/networking.gif
> >
> > What I'd like to discuss is how the activate / deactivate is going to work.
> >
> > There are a few options:
> >
> > 1.  Do nothing until apply in the main window
> > 2.  Call network-conf --activate eth0 without applying changes
>
> I'd go for 2, or 1. In the status column we can have something like
> "to be activated" or something similar.

These were my initial choices, but they both don't make sense in a way.

If we go with #1, then it should probably be a checkbox instead of a
button.

> > 3.  Call network-conf --activate eth0, applying all changes first

> We should not apply changes, if the user has not requested it.
> If he cancels, the dialog he would get the impression that nothing
> was saved.
>
> > 4.  Prompt the user, requiring that all changes get applied before activating the interface
>
> nah. Telling a user "Please click this other button before clicking the
> button you've just hit"
> does not make sense.

Well, the question can be "do you want to apply all changes first?" and they can choose yes or no.

jacob
--
"The people who made the Macintosh produced a miracle, but that
 doesn't mean their code was wonderful." -- Bob Cringely