Re: using sysprof under Ubuntu

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Christian Hergert <christian hergert me> wrote:
That likely indicates that your program and the libraries it depends on are compiled without enough information to get relevant stack traces.

Hmm, well with the dbgsym packages installed for GTK and GLib, and Geary built with the CFLAGS you suggest, I'm not getting anything else showing up.

A while back, there was a Debian bug where the Sysprof package was not properly bundling the helper daemon which is typically necessary. Since the __NR_perf_event_open syscall requires UID 0 in the configuration we often need, there is a daemon to do that for us (and pass an FD back to the UI process). Without it, you'd have to run the UI as root. Perhaps the Ubuntu package has not received the fix that was in Debian.

Ah yes, running the GUI as root helped. Aside from the heinous security risk, is there another reason not to do so?

I tried running sysprof-cli as root as well but when opening the resulting trace in the GUI as non-root I get the same problem as before, while opening the trace in the GUI running as root seemed to work fine - so root is needed even after profiling is complete to be able to reconstruct the call traces?

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>