Re: [Straw] Fixing async IO reliability

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Tuukka Hastrup wrote:
> I've updated the Straw wiki page with information about a prototype that
> uses threaded networking IO.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Straw

There was a stupid bug last week and no update info from feeds was
actually used.

This week, there shouldn't be many significant features missing in
comparison to the old networking code. One thing that for some reason
doesn't work in my tests yet is proxy authentication.

I didn't make changes to the old code this time, but it occurred to me
that yet another alternative would be to keep using asyncore but run it in
a thread of its own. This way asyncore could be integrated into the GTK
main loop. The advantages would be fewer threads and no thread
cancellation (because it is ugly in Python). A disadvantage is having both
threads and asyncore code.

> The threaded networking code supports https and file URIs but is currently
> missing support for proxies, passwords and a limit on the number of
> connections it makes simultaneously.

These are now in.

> > 4. Feed parsing hangs everything

This would be next in turn. To stay in the mode of minimum changes, a plan
would be to run SummaryParser.parse in a thread. To keep the thread
separate from the main loop, it shouldn't get a reference to "feed"
though.

I've inhabited the #straw channel on irc.gnome.org in case someone would
prefer a chat there.

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: Tuukka Hastrup iki fi